How can you manage your hormones with meditation?
Use mindful breathing:
- Spend a minimum of 10 minutes just sitting with the breath.
- Focus solely on your breathing and be compassionate towards yourself.
- During this time your mindful breathing elicits the brain’s rest-repose response.
- This fills your body with feel-good hormones (known as endorphins).
- These include serotonin, dopamine and oxytocin.
- As your body relaxes through the peace and calm of meditation, so your endorphins kick in.
- Next time you are feeling a little low or overwhelmed with stress, simply get still and focus on your breathing.
- Then allow your body to make all the adjustments!
The amazing human body
Your body is designed to keep you balanced and in good health. So if you are feeling anxious or depressed you have a choice. You can sit and meditate, as described above. Or you could choose other activities:
- Go for a brisk 20 minute walk or run.
- You could dance round your house.
- Choose to listen to some music.
- Have a hug with your loved one or family pet.
All of these choices will also elicit the feel-good hormones within the body. Dopamine, for example, floods the body during and just after exercise. Oxytocin is released when you hug a loved one.
Remember that you can manage your mood through your body’s own hormones. These choices are natural and varied. Include meditation daily to help you stay positive and in harmony.
You are in control!
Yvette Jane – Mindfulness & Meditation Coach