We feel safe with many of our day-to-day habits.
Our routines get us out of bed in the morning and we don’t like to be shaken up by unexpected events. Of course we don’t enjoy the unexpected; unheated water in our shower or the car not starting for work.
That’s fair enough
But what if this also means that you are taking for granted huge numbers of blessings?
And you go about your day in many ways feeling numbness?
Maybe you sometimes feel like you are walking among zombies as you commute to work on the train. That you and everyone else are sleep-walking?!
Start to vary your habits
- Vary your routine – try an alternative route home from work
- Smile and say hello to a stranger
- Stop and chat to the person selling ‘Big Issue’
- Go into a shop you’ve always walked past and never gone into before
- Visit a village or town that is nearby but which you’ve not been to before
- Book a workshop or a talk on a subject you know nothing about!
- Pause and look at the sunset …
These are just a handful of adjustments to try in one part of your day.
Maybe you can think about how you can make other small changes at other points in your day.
And perhaps you may find you’re ready for larger changes. Life-style adjustments, a career change, a house move.
It takes courage to make changes, but living your life more fully is the outcome.
Happy living (really living!)
Yvette Jane – Mindfulness & Meditation Coach