Is your mind feeling cluttered and full, and you long for clarity to help you with decision-making?
Decision-Making Can Get Confusing
If you are confused over a choice you must make, remember that you have the resources within you to make a wise decision. You need clarity to make your decision.
It’s easy to get caught up in other peoples’ advice, web-site searches and spending a fortune on outside help. Eventually, the decision comes down to you.
What is your decision-making strategy?
Meditate for Insight and Wisdom
The key to gain clarity is to become calm and balanced.
In India, Vipassana meditation means ‘Insight’ or ‘Clear seeing’.
This means to see things as they really are. Here’s how you can check in to your own insight and wisdom.
- Put all other tasks to one side, sit in stillness and focus on your body’s posture and breath.
- Focus on the feelings you become aware of, your body’s sensations and the connection with your mind.
- We humans bring our own interpretation to our experiences, from the past or from cultural influences. We get caught up in our own stories and tend to ignore how our body is feeling until we decide to reach for medication to make discomfort or pain go away. Or we distract ourselves yet again with Social Media or other forms of technology.
- Continue becoming more aware of your body and listen to it. You might notice all kinds of thoughts attempting to influence your choice. Remember that these thoughts are just that – historic thoughts passing through your brain.
- Cut through those thoughts – as you sit, become aware of the sensations you experience. Ask yourself, if I make this choice, how does it feel? You might feel fear or excitement in the pit of your stomach.
- Listen in. Be aware of the information your body offers you.
- Notice what negative thoughts continue to pop into your mind. These are the thoughts that hold you back.
- Sit in stillness until you experience a sense of calm and peace. Gradually you become aware of your new consciousness. One that is influenced by nothing but the present moment.
Make Choices with Ease
Sometimes you may need to get up and go off and be busy doing something else. Then return to your stillness and ‘insight’ another time, another day.
With this ability to develop your clarity and ‘clear seeing’ you now have a tool that provides you with your own answers.
As you practice this daily you will be learning to befriend yourself and deepen into your inner wisdom. You can gradually discard:
The baggage of old thought and emotion.
~ Eckhart Tolle
A very helpful book to explore further is ‘A New Earth’ by Eckhart Tolle.
When You Have Choices to Make
So if you have a choice to make, start with yourself. Sit in stillness with your ‘clear seeing’ meditation.
What is it that we really want deep in our heart? Is it money, fame, power? Or is it finding inner peace, being able to live life fully and enjoy the present moment?
~ Thich Nhat Hanh
There’s no reason why you can’t gather all the support you need, but always check in with yourself for the final say. You are in charge and you alone can reach a sense of clarity in any situation.
More Blog Posts on this subject:
This blog post has been updated since first published in December 2014