The following are some of the books on Mindfulness and Meditation that I have found inspirational and informative! I have also included other books that relate to mental health and some inspirational reads.
I have put links to the author’s sites or to Amazon for reference where possible. (I get no finances from this, for your reference only).
A Selection of Books on Mindfulness & Meditation
- The Practical Neuroscience of Buddha’s Brain – Rick Hanson – excellent book which describes in simple but detailed terms the links between the brain and mindfulness
- Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation for Everyday Life
- Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain & illness using mindfulness meditation – Both by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Mindfulness. A Practical Guide to Finding Peace in a Frantic World – By Mark Williams and Danny Penman
- Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness Medicine – By Saki Santorelli
- Get Some Headspace – Andy Puddicombe
- Essential Spirituality – Roger Walsh
- Radical Acceptance –
- True Refuge – Both by Tara Brach – excellent books and also a website full of inspiring blog posts, video talks and recorded meditations
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle
- True Love A practice for awakening the heart –
- The Miracle of Mindfulness –
- Peace is every step –
- Path of Compassion – All by Thich Nhat Hanh
- A Path with Heart
- The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness and Peace
- The Wise Heart – Buddhist Psychology for the West – all by Jack Kornfield – Fabulous – I always return to Jack Kornfield’s work.
- An Altar in the World: Finding the Sacred beneath our Feet – Barbara Brown Taylor – A beautiful book about being mindful in all that we do.
Other Aspects of Mental Health
- Ageless Body, Timeless Mind – By Deepak Chopra
- Rising Strong –
- Daring Greatly –
- Braving the Wilderness – All by Brene Brown
- Reasons to Stay Alive – Matt Haig
- Happiness Now! – Robert Holden
- Sunbathing in the Rain by Gwyneth Lewis – I love this book which is about the author’s depression. She doesn’t use the terminology of ‘mindfulness’ as such, but through her own journey of experience with depression, she learns how crucial things like ‘awareness’ and ‘acceptance’ are.
- Being in Balance –
- Stop the Excuses! How to Change Lifelong Thoughts –
- Inspiration – Your Ultimate Calling
- The Power of Intention – All by Wayne Dyer – all are extremely positive and motivational reads.
- Anam Cara – Spiritual Wisdom from the Celtic World
- Eternal Echoes – Exploring our Hunger to Belong
- Divine Beauty – The Invisible Embrace
- Benedictus – A Book of Blessings
– All the above by John O’Donohue, truly beautiful books
- An Interrupted Life: The Diaries and Letters of Etty Hillesum 1941-43 Poignant and inspiring.
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that can’t stop Talking by Susan Cain.
- Codependent No More – How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself
- The Language of Letting Go – Daily Meditations for Codependents
- Journey to the Heart – Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul
– All by Melody Beattie – I love Melody’s inspiring words.
- Spiritual Intelligence – Awakening the Power of Your Spirituality and Intuition
- The Pool of Memory: The Autobiography of an Unwilling Intuitive – Both by Michal Levin
- The Wheel of Life: A Memoir of Living and Dying – by Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
- The Case for God – What Religion really means by Karen Armstrong – Fascinating read which covers the history of humans and religion.
- A Return to Love: A Reflection on the Principles of ‘A Course in Miracles’
- Everyday Grace: Having Hope, Finding Forgiveness and Making Miracles – Both by Marianne Williamson
Reference Type Books
- Vibrational Medicine. The Number 1 Handbook of Subtle-Energy Therapies – by Richard Gerber, M.D. – A really interesting reference book from a scientific perspective, which details the whole range of energy work including Acupuncture, Flower Remedies, Psychic Healing, Crystal Healing, Meditation and Sound Healing.
- Love, Medicine and Miracles
- Peace, Love and Healing – both titles by Bernie Siegel, M.D. – Fascinating work about people who are diagnosed with cancer, and outcomes.
- The True Power of Water – Healing and Discovering Ourselves – by Masaru Emoto
- Eastern Body, Western Mind: Psychology and the Chakra System as a Path to the Self –
- Wheels of Life: A User’s Guide to the Chakra System – Both by Anodea Judith – Very detailed and fascinating descriptions of the Chakra System.
- The Rainbow Journey: Seven Steps to Self Healing –
- Journey of the Soul: Awakening Ourselves to the Enduring Cycle of Life –
- Affairs of the Heart: Healing Relationships with love –
– All the above are by Dr Brenda Davies. Her books inspired me to step up my journey which led me to Zambia and beyond with her!
- Hands of Light: A Guide to Healing Through the Human Energy Field
- Light Emerging: The Journey of Personal Healing – Both by Barbara Ann Brennan. These books depict much of the work that underlies the Energy Healing which I have studied. Very readable.