Does life feel complicated? Even when you’re busy, here are 4 simple reminders for a calmer life:
You rein yourself in to the present moment when you breathe a conscious breath.
This results in being focused and present. It’s easy and effective:
• Focus on one breath before you move to your next task.
• Count three breaths before you reply to a question verbally, texting or email.
• Become aware of your breathing before you enter or leave a building.
Because it opens up a split-second of space, rather than rushing head-long into the next unconscious, unawake moment.
2. Get Grounded
We’ve all done it – daydreamed, got caught up on Social Media or some other escape. Even if you are sitting meditating it’s easy to get ungrounded and float off into your own little world.
It’s also easy to feel overwhelmed and go into ‘panic mode’ when there seems too much to get done.
So the second of your simple reminders:
- Whether you’re standing or sitting, get a sense of both feet connected to the ground.
- Feel your toes, ball and heel of each foot and imagine little roots spreading outwards and downwards from beneath your soles.
- This connects you to the earth. And when you breathe, visualise you are breathing up from the earth, through your feet and all the way throughout your body.
- Now you are here fully grounded in your body.
- When possible go outside and ground in nature. When you stand among trees or alongside the ocean the experience is a super-connector!
‘Place your hands into the soil to feel grounded. Wade in water to feel emotionally healed. Fill your lungs with fresh air to feel mentally clear. Raise your face to the heat of the sun and connect with that fire to feel your own immense power.’
~ Victoria Erickson
Your third simple reminder is that your body and mind need time for replenishment.
And best performance comes from this too!
Schedule it in your diary if you don’t trust yourself to remember! Choose some daily meditation time, a relaxation class or a couple of early nights each week to ensure plenty of sleep.
Communication these days is often via:
- Twitter – be succinct
- Text – I’m busy doing something else at the same time
- Email, Instagram or Facebook – life is portrayed as rosy and fab
This is communication in disguise. So if there is a choice to speak choose it when you can to avoid misunderstanding!
Give yourself the time to incorporate these 4 simple reminders
Yvette Jane – Mindfulness & Meditation Coach
This updated blog post was first published in May 2015